Monday, August 11, 2008

It's hard until it's easy...

Alright, my mom says this- in fact she has it printed out on a piece of old-style computer paper in her office. You know, the kind that was connected and you had to pull those hole-ly strips of paper off the sides? That kind. She has used it for that long. To be honest, I hated the saying. I mean how stupid is that- it's hard until it's easy, define "it", "hard" and "easy". Does anything ever really become easy? Do we just think it's easy because we are overly confident? Does it appear easy because we are doing it wrong? Was it ever really hard, or were we just stupid? Maybe it was only "hard" for us and everyone else thought it was easy. Then would her saying truly apply? What if it was like cement and it progressively DID get harder? How does it work then?

Anyway that wasn't really the point and I tend to digress. The point was this: regardless if I agree(d) with the statement- it was my mom's. My brothers and I all know it and have used it- even if was only to mock it. (Mainly me.) She used it with her students often and so I'm sure many of them know it, too. It reminds me of my mom. Many things do- good things and not-so-good things (I will always question why Chamberlain's Lotion is called a Lotion and how my mother can wear something that smells like my grandmother.) Those things make up what I know to be my mom.

So when we finish what we came for here on earth- what will be leave behind? What are the sayings, quirks, habits, obsessions that we will leave as memories for those left behind? This isn't a "be noble, or be wonderful- "what did you do with my name" type of thing. This is a were you original in some sort of way type of thing? Were there things that were uniquely YOU? Were you able to claim your own corner of something, coin your own phrase, burn your own trail? In a sea of people- is there something that will allow you to stand out and somehow be remembered.

So be it an annoying quotation or some other odd habit or love- be yourself and do it well. Those things will be remembered and ultimately define you: who you really are to those who really know you. Find those things that truly make YOU happy, whole, complete. Make your own definitions for what you think you are because without your differentiating characteristics, knowing you will be hard...until it's easy. ;)

1 comment:

  1. I had no idea your mom wore that "lotion" but good to know- What an interesting blog. Hopefully I'll be able to leave something behind.. I'm kind of boring! ;) Miss you- Hope to see you soon. Love ya

    ReplyDelete