Saturday, September 19, 2009

Day for Ducks

K had a preschool field trip to the park to feed the ducks. I read an article, was told by the preschool, and my mom not to feed ducks bread anymore. (Apparently, the seagulls come in to eat the bread and help themselves to baby ducks, too. Problem for the ducks.) So, in an effort to be a proactive mother I made a stop by our local IFA store to pick up some cracked corn, ie 'duck food'. I was informed that cracked corn only comes in 50 lb bags. "Whoa, that's a lot of cracked corn," I thought to myself. However I also reasoned that there would be other kids that we could share with. So I bought 50 lbs of cracked corn. We loaded the corn and the kids and headed to the park. We couldn't find the preschool class. Anywhere. So we walked and fed far-away ducks and got sweaty. Boo.
Then we got ice cream at Neilson's. Yum.
Pulling into my driveway back at home, I paused. I had 50 POUNDS of cracked corn in the back- we needed to use more than 1/2 a pound. So I drove to a close pond and we hopped out of the car- tossed some corn and what you see in the picture above is the result.
We were swamped by geese, ducks and some other types of fowl for the corn. They surrounded us and we kept the corn coming. It was really a much better experience than the first park and we will be doing it again...and again...and again. Need any cracked corn- besides Jimmy? (ha)

1 comment:

  1. Your hilarious Nic! And one fun mom too! Not only are you making a memorable experience, you are looking out for the little baby duckies to boot! I soooo want to be you when I grow up. I'm gonna go buy some cracked corn now...:D

    ReplyDelete