Thursday, September 11, 2008

I Remember...

I remember waking and dragging myself out of bed. I awoke to K-Bull commentary, typical nonsense that lulled in my ears. I got into the shower to get ready for work still listening to the radio. I'm not sure what the words were- I don't really remember even grabbing the towel. I just remember running to my living room, turning on the television and watching- with complete horror- the plane diving into the Twin Towers. I remember standing wet, dripping, in a towel- gift from my wedding less than four months before. And selfishly my mind turned to my sweet brother, who the day after my wedding, reported to basic training in Georgia. I knew this all meant that my brother would be involved. My thoughts then turned to all of the friends I had made that worked in and around the Towers when I worked in D.C. How could this be happening and what more laid ahead- unbeknownst to us- in the future?


Somehow we all managed to get dressed, to make it to our respected posts and to somehow, somehow function between news updates. Even when are eyes weren't with the television- our hearts were. We cried, man did I cry. And somehow- somehow we managed to get dressed and to continue, one day at a time.

My heart goes out to those directly effected by loss, husbands, wives, children, parents, friends. My heart still aches for all of them. It still aches for the after-effects. I remember and I will never forget.

3 comments:

  1. Very well said I totally agree. I cried and cried as well and my heart aches for all of those who either lost their lives or a loved one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also will never forget...I still cry when I see the images and when I hear the song "Have you forgotten". I didn't even know anybody there...but my cousin enlisted right after...it's still a day of deep thought and reflecting...and wondering...will it ever really get better, or was that just the tip of the iceberg?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi. My name is Summer. We met up in Midway at Swiss Days. I was looking at buying one of those baby slings, and you mentioned that you have a similiar pattern for it that you could e-mail to me. Do you think that you still could?! I would really, really appreciate it. Thanks so much.

    sumtay01@hotmail.com
    chadandsummer.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete