So in my efforts to become domestic, I acquired a wheat (actually a grain) grinder. Here is said grinder gearing up to grind me some whole wheat flour. With this flour I will make me some homemade bread.
The bread that I make- I LOVE! So, I am going to share my yummy and easy recipe with my blogging buddies.
Get out your grinders and grind approx. 13 cups of flour. You should only need to use 11 or 12 cups, but ladies, bread making is an art and you may need more. (I say this like I know.)
Now, while I am grinding out flour I put a packet of yeast in my DI special Bosch mixer (thanks mom! (in-law) ). To the yeast I add 1/2 cup of warm water. I then add 2/3 cup RAW SUGAR. I used to use honey like the recipe said and I like this WAY better. You'll see.
When I'm finished with the flour I add 2/3 cup oil, 2 teaspoons salt (the original recipe called for 2 Tablespoons but I do it MY way) and 5 cups HOT water. I then add the flour- 10 cups. I run the mixers and test the dough. It should be sticky, but it should stay together. I usually add 1 to 2 cups flour on a cold or rainy day and 2 1/2 to 3 1/2 on a hot day. I then switch attatchments to the bread hook and let the machine run for 10 minutes. (Pictured above.)
I then coat my hands with oil (and the bread pans- don't forget) and form loaves of bread. I usually get 3 out of this recipe. I usually do this twice on my baking days. (Which makes six for you non-math majors. Which I'm not, so look at me!) I set them out on my stove and my pre-heated oven to raise. Which takes about 20 minutes.
Here is the first batch going into a 350 degree oven for 40 minutes. Please don't notice my neglected oven.
Here is a finished product! Seriously, it's awesome. You'll love me for it.
She does! (I know she's eating a cookie. She loves the bread, too. Okay!?)

T totally looks like W in the last picture with her staring at you! That bread looks way yummy. Can we make them together sometime? Love ya! Hope to see you tonight!
ReplyDeleteWow you are quite the Martha Stewart!! I'm jealous of your abilities...and the bread looks beautiful. I made bread once - I think I'm set for life now. But if I too decide to become domesticated you'll be the first person I'll emulate! :D
ReplyDeleteI didn't know if you were aware...but the store sells bread daily. Just kidding; I'm with Shannon - Maybe when I don't have to work all dreadful day long, I'll think about making some "baking stuff!"
ReplyDeleteOkay, I want to try this...but I have questions.
ReplyDeleteA. Is there anything different if I just use a regular kitchenaid?
B. Doesn't the 5 cups of hot water kill those fledgling yeasties?
and C. Is "raw" sugar the same as regular ol' granulated sugar? (forgive my ignorance, but I really don't know).
WOW I am impressed Nik. I would love to try that but can you just buy wheat flour, I don't have a grinder. I am with Sheri what is RAW sugar and doesn't the hot water kill the yeast? WAY TO GO NIK!!
ReplyDeleteOkay- I wasn't ignoring you. My site must have been classified as spam 'cause I couldn't get to it! I did survive! Kitchenaids work the same- different brand, like Chevy and Ford. No, the 5 cups hot water doesn't kill the yeast, it rises again just fine. Raw sugar IS different than granulated sugar- it's in a box by the granulated sugar and it's brown. Also, I learned if you don't get the bread into a gallon bag shortly after cooling, the crust is crazy hard. Sorry to those of you (Adrienne, Dana, Mom- who got some of the last batch. I didn't have gallon bags on hand and they waited a few hours on the cooling rack.)
ReplyDeleteI have a wheat grinder just like that one, and I'm really embarrased to say that it has been a few years since I've used it. I love making bread, but I usually make white bread (because I'm too lazy to get out my wheat grinder). Your loaves look BEEEAAAAUUUTIFUL!
ReplyDeleteHey Nik, what grain grinder did you buy? I'm trying to find a good one. kristiejex@yahoo.com
ReplyDelete