My longest life-on-earth goal for myself is to have my children use the word "Christlike" to describe me when I die. I know, I KNOW! I have a LOOONNNGG way to go. None-the-less, it is a goal.
I recently picked up a little audio book on cd at Seagull. It was about the virtue of love, it's importance, it's application, etc. It talked about motherhood and how we often don't cut ourselves enough of a break. It talked about love in regard to service. The think that struck me the most is how I am, at times, more Christlike than I give myself credit for. This probably applies to you as well- which is why I'm writing this.
She writer revisited the quote from a past prophet (Benson?) that Heavenly Father can't physically be here so He works his blessings through others. We show Heavenly Father love by serving Him through serving His other children. Then she went on to say that Christlike service is doing things for others that they can't do for themselves. This applies to our children when we make their meals, get them dressed, clean up after them, etc. This applies to ALL THINGS that we do for others that they do not have the ability to do for themselves.
So I pose this to you...what is it when you do something for someone that they CAN do for themselves? Is this a lesser service? Is this enabling? I'm not talking about doing "nice things" like picking up your husband's dirty clothes (which we all know he is capable of doing himself), though this question COULD apply here, too. I'm talking about when help becomes expected...Does it make the service less important? less pure? less Christlike?
Anyway- post your thoughts for me to ponder and meanwhile I'm loving the step closer I took to a life-time goal. ;)
what cd did you listen to? i love your thoughts...you are such a good person already it makes me sick!!
ReplyDeleteInteresting how your post goes along with motherhood.. It's been on my mind a lot lately. I think service is a huge aspect of making ourselves happier. I should do more.. Anyway. Glad you posted this :) Love you
ReplyDeleteIt's hard when a "service" becomes an expectation. But...I don't think it lessens the value of what you've done. Your one of the most service oriented people I know and I appreciate it!! And p.s. Tell Weston to pick up his own dirty clothes....
ReplyDeleteI think it's way easy to talk the talk like explain to your kids during fhe how to be like Christ, but actually doing it is a lot harder. Sometimes when you think about doing more service I think you're more likely to expect people to see you or to thank you for the service rendered; whereas if you aren't thinking about doing it, you are more likely to do it out of love like Christ would. Does that make any sense? I hope to get to that point someday!
ReplyDeleteI think being christlike is a great goal. how inspirational.
ReplyDeletetrisha
momdot.com