Friday, September 19, 2008

Grocery Smarts--I'm Not So Sure...

So I tried my new adventure... grocery shopping with coupons. This is a whole new level of domesticality (is that even a word?) for me and one that still makes me break into a cold sweat.
I attended a grocerysmarts class a week ago.
I bought a subscription for the 5 newspapers on Sunday.
I went and purchased 5 papers at the grocery store on Monday until my subscription comes through this Sunday.
I organized my adds in plastic sleeves, organized plastic sleeves in hanging folders and put hanging folder in a plastic, mobile folder-holder.
I got on the website and printed out the specials for the week.
I marked on my list- quantity of product and monetary total.
I cut out my coupons from the dated coupon packets I had stored.
I put all of these coupons into a plastic sleeve and headed to the store.

I searched for my items- found what I thought was everything on the list and headed, with much anticipation, to the check-out line. I found a line with someone in it already- with lots of stuff. I wanted to show patience so that others would do the same for me. I even let a couple go ahead of me! I rang up my groceries expecting a certain total. I handed over my wad of coupons and watched as he rang them through and tried not to notice the couple behind me glaring at me with their two purchases on the conveyor belt. The nice bagger boy talking to me about something. I grabbed my bags, my receipt and bolted for the door. My total was about 30 bucks more than I was expecting. I was devastated. Now I spent money on food I didn't really need with money I could have used other ways. Was this really worth it?
I had been charged full price for things I had coupons for, neglected putting in coupons (stupid in-store coupon), picked up wrong, non-coupon applying merchandise, misread coupons and so didn't use them as effectively as I should have, and apparently- paid too much for a coupon item (it was cheaper at Smith's I was told by another shopper).
So I called my friends for advice. (Thanks Laura and Erica!) Erica reassured me and told me to take back the merchandise that I didn't mean to buy (I bought the wrong type, apparently) and then chalk the rest up to experience. It really wasn't too expensive- maybe 10 bucks. (Here and there and this way their customer service staff won't black list me.)
Will I try it again- of course! I'm more stubborn than you think. Was I disappointed- yeah, that's because I hate to make mistakes. Did I do well? Well, I spent about 65 and saved just under 100. I can do better. I WILL do better- and mainly because next time- I'm taking Erica with me!

4 comments:

  1. That is so cool. You'll have to help me with that once I have to go grocery shopping for two instead of just one! Love ya! Hope to see you this weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your experience sounds a lot like mine after doing the "Grocery Guru's" program. I need to get back into it, there's a lot of time involved and I've gotten LAZY!!!! Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was doing coupons for a while, but I found that if you don't buy just what's on the HUGEST sale and use your coupons at the ultimate time you will always spend more or buy more than you want to. i do better buying what I need and shopping the grocery store brands...usually they were cheaper than using a coupon on a name brand. So if you can stick to the "only buy what's at least 60% off" and eat the things you buy and not buying ANYTHING more than what's on sale, you can save money. Otherwise you will not save money. It was more of a pain than it was worth for me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I did this a couple of months ago and found that I didn't think my time was worth it. I did it on thegrocerygame.com and got a 4 week $1 trial membership...you should check it out. I found that I just ended up buying things that I didn't usually buy so it wasn't worth it. Instead I just buy one Sunday paper and cut out coupons that way...I figure the $1.25 I spend each week is saved as I use at least two or more coupons...every little bit of money saved counts! Good luck and kudos to you for doing it! :) Oh...and I was trying to figure out...how do you have your blog list show when they were last updated? I've been trying to figure it out and can't seem to figure it out. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete